Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sparrows

It's a glorious time of year in Oregon. The days are long, we've had one day of rain since July 4, and there's really very little excuse not to be outdoors, especially as we know there WILL be a winter sometime.

Sunrise from my apartment this week
The incentives to get up and run early are many; the sunrise, the forest quiet, often a light mist amongst the trees, and of course the knowledge that you'll be done before most of the world is awake. It's ALWAYS worth the effort.

It's probably been the most uneventful running week this year. Working at the Outdoor Retailer Show from Monday thru Saturday on the Hi-Tec stand meant long days standing, with running confined to the flat streets of Salt Lake City (at 1400m altitude), with the morning temperature at 70+, and evening never less than 90. Having a post race jump in the pool was a bittersweet reminder of Cape Town.

And talking of sparrows....

It's a time when I get angsty about food and drink and lack of exercise. I'm sure only runners, and maybe only obsessive runners would understand. I haven't really changed my eating habits since I started running. I've always been a grazer rather than a structured meal type of person, and also commit the sin of eating late most days. So a week with very low mileage and lots of time to eat and drink, especially during the day leads to those completely illogical worries about putting on weight and losing shape. I say illogical because every time this has happened in the past, I still come back the same weight and with no noticeable lose of form!

Almost everyone I meet comments on my lack of eating, or at the very least odd eating habits. My weight has stayed constant for 15 years, at between 77-80kg. I've also been a vegetarian for 20+ years, which also normally elicits comments about not eating enough protein. I don't know if I'm doing it right, and maybe I'm storing up trouble for later in life, but I sort of like my skinny, light frame, and that I'm not dictated to by meal times, convention or peer pressure.

Ryan in Leadville training with legend Scott Jurek (photo: Jenny)
So, this week it's back to the shorter distances with the Hagg Lake 21km trail race, then off to Leadville to try and hang with Ryan Sandes for 10-15 miles, as he attempts to win his second Leadville 100 miler. Ryan's been there since mid July getting used to the 10,000ft+ altitude. My 4 days in Snowbird showed me how hard it is to adapt. If I get miles 84 to 99, I 'might' be ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment